Monday, July 6, 2009

Death of a Bird

I'm not quite sure how to handle this. Any information or ideas will be welcome and helpful.

Yesterday my 5 year old son was helping his granny pick up the sticks from the bottlerockets. He wondered off and when he came back he told his granny, "I won't stomp on anymore birds. I like birds."

My husband and I got the story today as we were all about to leave for town and run errands (a favorite thing for my son). I took A. and tracked down the bird. Yep. You guessed it. There was a dead bird.

Now, my son and I have are home while Daddy is running errands alone. Daddy is very upset and told A. that he didn't want to be around him right now.

I stayed home to have a heart to heart with A. over this. I'm upset and I've talked with A. about this. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of him. I know that he is five. But, there seems to be this disconnect there.

He is being punished. It may not sound like much, but for him it is. He is not to go outside, he didn't get to run errands with his daddy, he can't listen to KISS, he doesn't get to watch Star Wars. Numerous other things.

To be honest, it is the disconnect I am most concerned about. Is this common in five year olds. Am I expecting too much from him at this point in his life?

I once killed a turtle when I was a bit older than he is now. I fed it to death, but it wasn't intentional. A. just wanted the bird to stop squawking at him.

Help????

No comments:

Post a Comment