Sunday, July 12, 2009

Just My Medical Luck

Went to the OB/GYN for my yearly exam. This is the first time I've been to an OB/GYN since A. was born. I usually just use my family doctor for my paps, but this year I needed to have my Mirena IUD removed and replaced. I have to say that I really liked my new doctor. And I'm lucky in that going to the OB/GYN never seems to bother me. Pelvic exams are old hat to me. However, in walks my medical luck. :((

While the doctor was doing the culture for the pap and the future removal/replacement of the IUD I hear an "uh-oh". Now, it is never a good thing to be laying on a table, naked but for a simple gown and a cloth over your lap, with your legs in stirrups, and in the most vulnerable position for a woman to be in and hear the words "uh-oh".

"Uh-oh what?" is my simple question.

"Well, I can't see the strings for your IUD. I need to get a little more aggressive if that is alright."

"Sure. Go ahead." Even though I'm screaming on the inside. Because I know aggressive = painful.

And sure enough, there it is...a nice sharp stabbing pain where no woman wants pain.

"I still can't see them. Why don't we get you an ultrasound to figure out where they are."

I ended up having two ultrasounds. One by the tech and then one by the doctor herself. I believe her exact words were that the strings were "wadded up" in there. Lovely. Joy. Hip-hip-hooray. Sigh.

So, next week I am going back to the doctor. The doctor with attempt to aggressively (remember aggressive = painful) find the strings under ultrasound. If she can't then I will have to have sugery to remove the IUD. I already know that I will have the surgery. Even though the doctor tried to sound positive about finding the strings, I can read between the lines. She has to try things this way, but she isn't very optimistic about finding them this way. I'm just hoping that I will be able to go to work that night. It is a Friday, so I don't have to be there until 1:30am.

But this is just another example of my medical luck. Simple procedure turns into something not quite so simple. Go team go!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck for the removal of the IUD. I really hope they find the strings.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete